When you have a child who is complaining of being bored, sometimes it's wise to let them come up with something to do. Other times, it's helpful to equip them with books that have plenty of little details to discover, that definitely helps time pass a lot faster! Reading this together is a great way to bond too (:
Follow the 5 brother penguins as they go to the departmental store and amusement park for adventures. Can you spot them amongst the sea of other penguins? Observant children will adore this set!
We've read this more than 10 times in our household and still discovering new things each time! This is a great boredom buster. I highly recommend this, and here's why.
- Simple text consisting of short sentences. There are some repeated sentence structures, which give early readers confidence!
- The detailed illustrations in both books are such gems! The illustrator is an absolute master in depicting scenes with so many different characters, and the little facial expressions are so on point!
Some of our favourite mini-stories discovered through the illustrations include:
- Two penguins who are probably getting married, as they are looking for a ring!
- A couple, where the female loves shopping and the male is dragged around the departmental store carrying her shopping bags. As the story progresses, the number of shopping bags he holds increases! 手里的购物袋越来越多！We find this really funny!
- A lady penguin tries on a necklace and checks out her reflection in the mirror with a smile. She seems to like it! Will she buy it?
- A little penguin with its belly on the floor, smiling. Maybe it's trying to mimic the toy penguin it sees on level 4 in the toy section? An adult penguin looks disapprovingly, my 7 year old thinks that it's saying "地上很肮脏，快起来!"
- Another little penguin lying down on the floor, legs in the air, looking like it's throwing a tantrum. Maybe Papa or Mama refused to buy a toy that it wanted? 可能爸爸妈妈不让它买玩具，孩子在闹脾气。The adult penguin next to it looks angry, with a frown and arms/flippers akimbo.
- Each book comes with a seek and find checklist at the very end - which I think is a great tool for training concentration and attention to detail, checking understanding of vocabulary, and is a fun way to learn new words! On repeated readings, this was the part that brought us lots of joy. After we finished searching for things on the list, we took turns describing things to search for - a great way to practise describing things! My 5 year old enjoyed this game so much that he made me create more seek and find checklists!
《小企鹅逛百货商店》Little Penguins Go to the Departmental Store
《小企鹅玩游乐园》Little Penguins Go to the Amusement Park
Enjoy your adventures with this set of books!