I wasn’t expecting much from this set but was blown away when I read these 2 books with my 6 and 8 year old boys.
Why we love them:
- Adorable illustrations - this really drew the kids’ attention
- Funny and a little slapstick storyline - got us laughing, eg when Mr Bump dropped into the water
- Each character has a different unique characteristic - we had fun discussing eg if we knew someone who was tall like Mr Tall, accident-prone like Mr Bump etc that made the reading so much more relevant and alive!
- Elements of Chinese culture artfully weaved in
- Some elements have footnotes with some elaboration and explanation
- Descriptive phrases and simple idioms sprinkled throughout the stories. The quality of writing exceeded my expectations. 句句都有好词好句😍 Perfect to learn slightly advanced language terms in a meaningful context
- Actual locations in China referenced in 寻找中国龙 - which is a lovely springboard for a study on landmarks in China.
Conversation starters / Things we have talked about:
- Are dragons real?
- 12 Animals of the Chinese Zodiac
- Go to Google maps and look for the actual locations in China