Embark on an amazing learning journey about the wonderful creatures of this Earth! Being stuck at home a lot this season means reading marathons are back, and this set about nature is a delightful read.
My eldest (8yo) was drawn to the book about pirates and it was interesting to see the world through the pirates' viewpoint. This led to some interesting discussions about types of piracy, whether piracy is right, types of pirates seen in cartoons, pirates in real life too.
My 6yo boy enjoyed the book 《小蝴蝶的故事》recently when rearing Tawny Coaster caterpillars adopted from our friends. The illustrations are sweet and lovely! He could see the life cycle come alive right before our eyes. We also sang and memorised the lyrics to 《蝴蝶》儿歌 which was very fun.
We brought 《池塘里》along our field trip to the Botanic Gardens, Learning forest, and it was incredible to see some of the animals in this book, like tadpoles, dragonflies and pond skaters!
What we like about these books:
- Endearing and gentle illustrations - beautiful to behold!
- Colourful illustrations capture kids' attention
- Text is pitched to be conversational, not too technical or difficult
- There were many descriptive phrases sprinkled throughout the books that I really adored like "海面上扬起了阵阵波浪“ , "第二天，风平浪静。“ and “在茫茫的大海上，他们重新起航... ..." - re-reading these books help me to internalise these beautiful phrases so I can include them into my conversations with the kids, in other authentic situations!
- I wish the authors could be slightly more specific and include technical/proper terms eg pupa to be 蛹, but can understand that simpler language was used for the books to be more approachable to little ones.
Books in set include:
- Watch a documentary or real-life video related to the topic at hand
- Rear caterpillars
- Visit the Butterfly Park & Insect Kingdom at Sentosa
- Go on a walk at the nearby park to observe different types of butterflies with different sizes, colours, patterns
- Watch a time lapse of metamorphosis of a butterfly online
- Go on an outing to the beach
- Do a beach cleanup - by bringing a trash bag and a pair of gloves