Join Xiao Wei as he celebrates Mid-Autumn Festival with his extended family! Mid-Autumn Festival is one of reunions, everyone makes a point to gather together to mark this special occasion.
Some scenes of their preparation and celebration
- Xiao Wei's aunt comes back all the way from London,
- he and his mum make sure there are enough mooncakes to go around,
- his mum shares happy memories of her making mooncakes as a little girl with her mum
- his dad brings him for a walk at the park to see river lanterns
- his uncle whips up a spread with his grandma
- the whole family enjoying a reunion dinner with the beautiful harbour and full moon in the background
An excerpt of the book -
Many parts of Chinese culture are based on myths and legends, and I find it important to distinguish between fact and fiction whenever reading with my kids! So I really appreciate this touch that the author added in, to bring us back to reality and help our kids understand that these mid-autumn tales are just stories.
We love the illustrations by 朱成梁, who also illustrated 《团圆》 and 《打灯笼》, both with 浓浓的中国风 and so beautiful.
Side note: The illustrations here make an excellent reference for kids who would like to draw mooncakes!
Recommended for Ages: 3 and up
Language: Simplified Chinese