春福 Spring Blessing
This is a sweet and heartwarming tale of kindness on Chinese New Year Eve.
Once there was a 小福气 that came from the skies. He fell asleep when it was time to get his magic powers from the moon, so unlike the other 春福s, he had no powers and had stumble its way to earth.
小福气 came upon Little Fox who offered him a bowl of really yummy noodle soup and warmed his heart. It wondered why there were no crowds at their shop even if it was so tasty, and Little Fox explained that others didn't trust their shop because it was run by foxes.
小福气 decided to use all his strength to lift up the yummy smells of the soup and bring it through the streets, drawing crowds to Papa Fox's Noodle stall. In this, it brought hope!
Later that night, 小福气 was transformed into a real 春福! It excitedly woke Little Fox up to tell him that now he had real powers, make a wish and it will come true - to which little fox replied, no need, there are many others who need the blessings too!
What we love about this book
- a new twist and refreshing tale to the usual CNY books on 年 and 十二生肖
- distinctive Chinese illustration style
- all about love, kindness, friendship and blessing that are characteristic of CNY
- a lovely message that precious friendships can help us discover beautiful parts of ourselves
- comes with a "福“ red square for display, which looks exactly like the one in Papa Fox's noodle shop! What a meaningful and festive way to participate in the celebrations and reminds us of the book!
Recommended for Ages: 3-10
Language: Simplified Chinese
- What are some blessings that we have in our lives?
- How can we be a blessing to others?
- What is your favourite food?
- What does Little Fox have in his bedroom?
Suggested extension activities:
- Brainstorm and decide on a way to bless others (who are less fortunate, who may be lonely etc) during CNY, festive seasons and beyond
- Cook or buy, then eat some yummy soup noodles!
- Look for a new noodle shop in the neighborhood and try it out