菲菲你真棒 Murphy, See How You Shine!
Limited author-autographed copies are available at My Story Treasury - while stocks last!
Murphy has always been different. He always feels like he does not belong. Yet he is a very special assistance dog. Will Muphy ever recognise that he can make the world a brighter place, in his own unique way?
This story is about Murphy 菲菲, a diabetic alert dog, who is trained to pick up changes in smell of its owner 甜儿's sweat when her blood sugar levels are low. 菲菲 also happens to be born blind and found love, belonging and a sense of purpose in 甜儿's home.
I particularly love this uplifting excerpt from Wei Teng's story,
illustrated by Quek Hong Shin and translated by Yi Zheng
In this world there are many people with differing abilities and living with different medical issues, facing different kinds of hardship. It's often hard to talk about such topics with our kids, but I'm really grateful to come across stories like 菲菲你真棒 that make it easier to approach these topics and have discussions about them!
What we love about this book
- Great conversation starter about people or animals living with disabilities like blindness and medical conditions like Type 1 Diabetes
- Helps kids learn about compassion, diversity, inclusion, self-acceptance and friendship
- Main text in simplified Chinese, with hanyu pinyin for slightly more difficult terms
- Full text comes with hanyu pinyin at the back of the book for reference
- Glossary of terms with hanyu pinyin and English explanation to aid understanding
- What is diabetes? What's the different between type 1 and 2 diabetes? What do children with type 1 diabetes face?
- How is it like to be blind?
- Why do dogs have a keen sense of smell?
- What are diabetic alert dogs?
- What causes increase or decrease in blood sugar levels?
- Are there times when you feel like you don't belong or are not good enough?
- What are your unique strengths and gifts? How could you use that to help others and to make the world a better place?
Suggested extension activities
- Visit a pet dog
- Draw Murphy 菲菲
- Put on a blindfold and try to do a task or eat a snack - how do you feel? What are the difficulties?
- Go for a walk at the park connector near your home, just like 菲菲 and 甜儿
"Murphy, See How You Shine!" was awarded the Gold Award by the Moonbeam Children's Book Awards under the Picture E-Book category in 2018. It also received 5-stars rating from Readers' Favourite in the same year.
Wei Teng has experience working with individuals with learning difficulties such as dyslexia, and Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD), and is a lively author-storyteller with her unique brand of musical storytelling approach with her ukulele and songs.