If you're hoping to raise a child who is thoughtful, respectful and considerate, this will be a great resource for you.
Sharing an excerpt from the Preface that captured my heart:
I've been using this reference book to discuss with my kids (especially my boyish and rambunctious middle child) about how our behaviour affects others. And the importance of observing and taking time to think about the perspectives and feelings of others before doing or saying things.
- Adorable illustrations
- Clear indication of how our actions and words may cause others to think or feel
- Simple and descriptive phrases
- Extremely thoughtful details, and gentle reminders sprinkled throughout
- I especially appreciate the first page of each section, with a 2-page spread of a familiar scene, with questions to stimulate reflection! Resulting in valuable conversations.
Main sections of the book with some examples of daily interactions:
- 家人 Family members - Greet each other well, why we should say Thank You and Sorry, eating together, cherishing our belongings, giving gifts, sharing precious memories, and more
- 朋友 Friends - Playing together, returning things that we borrow (reminds me of a phrase in our childhood 有借有还，再借不难）, it's okay to argue but let's learn to make peace with each other, and more
- 大家 Everyone - Being considerate in the classroom which is a shared space, taking good care of library books, keeping the washroom tidy for the next user, taking care of pets, and more
This is definitely a gem to help us parents build up our children's EQ and make the world a better place!
Note: At first glance, the layout of the book may seem overwhelming and messy, but do take a few seconds to understand the legend (at the contents page) to maximise usage of this book - and the content will be clearer!
Recommended for Ages: 3-99
Language: Simplified Chinese
Author: Nagisa Tatsumi 【日】往本奈奈海
Translated from: Japanese
Translated by: 黄静
- Use soft toys or dolls for pretend play to practise the scripts in a non-threatening setting, followed by lots of positive encouragement!
- Make little gifts for family and friends to brighten their day
- Get a plant and take good care of it!
- Look through old photos, share memories
- Make a collage or slideshow of old photos
This book is a wonderful resource! So glad I managed to get my hands on this! Every page is filled with illustrations and very practical examples of how we can be considerate to others. As adults, we’ve our life experience to guide us in making such decisions. Children need such books to help act out scenarios so they can internalize them right behavior. We can definitely do with more of such books in the market, and in our home library!
Thank you Sylvia for your purchase and stellar review, and for finding this a gem too! I especially like the part where you said that adults have our life experiences to guide us, but kids can benefit from these guides to help internalise the right behaviour. Looking forward to serve you again soon (: