你好，四季 Hello, 4 Seasons
Are you travelling to or learning about a temperate country? This bookset is a gem with wonderful illustrations to kickstart some conversations. Many thanks to our friends from @sgmontessorimoms for recommending this to us!
Why we love this set
- Gorgeous illustrations - it's as though we are there smelling the flowers, running in the fields, enjoying nature
- All set in nature - helping our city kids appreciate the beauty of natural wonders
- Descriptive vocabulary - the text are beautifully written, even primary school kids and adults can learn how to describe breathtaking scenes
- Wide range of animals covered - the set is perfect to add breadth and depth while learning about different kinds of animals, along with their features and habitats
- Montessori-friendly! - highlighting the change of seasons helps children see how we fit into the larger scheme of things in the world and the passage of time
Titles in set:
Recommended for Ages: 3-99
Books in set: 4
Language: Simplified Chinese
Translated from: Japanese
Additional resources upon purchase:
- 🔊 Audio narration for all books except 夏天到了
Some time ago, my elder son and I were using our 四五快读 bookset to learn new Chinese words, and we got stuck at the characters 春夏秋冬. I was really frustrated as he just couldn't grasp or remember the words despite repeated revisions and explanations for several days. We decided to just skip those words and try again in a couple of weeks.
Days later, I had an epiphany! I realised that it was totally NORMAL and expected for my elder son NOT to get those characters. We had never experienced 4 seasons in Singapore, so he had little to no real-life memories to associate the words with! We quickly got our hands on this bookset, and slowly savoured the beautiful illustrations of how the 4 seasons could look like elsewhere in the world. We also watched videos on youtube of nature scenes in other countries. In no time, my elder son had something to associate the characters 春夏秋冬 with, and could recognise them in the books we read! This is what I call meaningful learning!
We also read 《春天到了！》 title together with other Chinese New Year reads, as CNY is also known as 春节!
Additional links / Resources:
We listened to Vivaldi's Four Seasons on Youtube and imagined the scenes!
Just for laughs! Singapore is a tropical country and we don't have 4 seasons unlike elsewhere on earth. What we have instead are these...
Photo above from sgag.sg
Check out other titles in our Montessori-friendly collection!
The illustrations are stunning. Having lived abroad before, I love and miss the four seasons (which we lack in Singapore). This is a great way to introduce baby to different landscapes and the multitude of colours and sights you might encounter in other parts of the world. There's only a couple of lines of text on each page, and I find the vocabulary quite challenging (in a good way). I expect that we'll be able to chat more about the illustrations as my son grows older.
Lovely illustrations! My 3yo may not fully appreciate the words/prose at the moment, but they are beautiful.