A title dear to our heart and close to home!
Ah Bao is out shopping with his mother. They buy green beans, cook green bean soup, eat green beans, grow them, and wait to see them sprout. The boy's close relationship with his mother shines through the simple storyline.
Recommended for Ages: 1-6
Language: Simplified Chinese
- How and why do people buy things?
- What do plants need to grow?
- What are dried goods and why can they be kept for long periods of time?
- How do people freeze food?
- How do people around the world wash and dry their laundry?
Suggested extension activities:
- Hanging up cloths activity
- Beans sorting activity
- Watering and caring for plant, recording progress through photos or drawings
- Cook green bean soup and make green bean popsicles together
- Write a grocery list in Chinese, then go shopping together, crossing off each item as it is found
- Observe, compare and contrast various beans
- Let the child buy something at the store by himself or herself! Great for training independence
- Practical Life: grocery shopping, cooking, gardening.
- Living things: plants.
- Science: Plant life cycle, heating cooling cooking, states of matter (water to steam, water to ice), passage of time.
If you find My Story Treasury's suggestions helpful, do share them with someone who could benefit too!
While the words are few, there were many pictures and alot of facial expressions to talk about. A very fun book to read for a 4yo.
Over the past two weeks, my child has been asking to read this book every day. It has very detailed and colourful illustrations which captures the attention of young ones. A simple storyline about daily activities involving a mother and child, but focusing on the various uses of a green bean. Love the hardcover!
A very heartwarming story with detailed illustrations. It is also a great book to teach children sequencing. Highly recommended!
This is the very first book I bought from the seller.
Love this book and is easy to read to your litte ones and a book that encourages bonding session.
Dear Vanessa, thank you so much for your support and for journeying with us all these while! This book is a gem!
Lovely realistic detailed illustration. Love the simple yet meaningful story. It shows different ways to use the green beans! Zero waste!
Thank you Shirley for sharing your thoughts on this book! Hope to send more meaningful books your way soon!