Find out how the 12 Animals of the Chinese zodiac came to be in this fictional story!
Learn the sequence of the Chinese Zodiac too.
- Is this story fact or fiction?
- Why do you think someone came up with the Chinese Zodiac?
- How do you find out someone's age on any given year? By subtracting their birth year from the current year. eg 2020 - 2015 = 5 years old
- Why does New Year's Day differ from the first day of Lunar New Year?
Extension Activity Ideas:
- Bring this book along during CNY visitation and gatherings, then find out the zodiac animals of each family and their birth years
- For family members with the same zodiac animals, are their ages really different by multiples of 12?
- Learn about the different animals of the Chinese Zodiac
Recommended for Ages: 3-8
Language: Simplified Chinese
An interesting book where it teaches about how the Chinese zodiac animals came about and how the animals were arranged in order from 1-12. The illustrations were beautiful.
This book talks about the story of how the zodiac was formed in an age-appropriate, fun way that keeps the kids intrigued!
I remember that I used to be curious about the zodiac as a child and watched the animated movie during Chinese New Year, only to be scared by the way they portrayed the animals and "evil spirits". It's fun to play "I spy" with some of the pages which shows many different animals/people!
There's also mini story parts such as why mice are afraid of cats, why the dragon didn't come in 1st even though he could fly, why the monkey's butt is red etc.
If christmas is about Santa 🎅🏻, i think Chinese New Year is all about 十二生肖 the 12 zodiac sign! 😄🐭🐮🐯🐰🐲🐍🐎🐑🐵🐓🐶🐷
This simple and humourous book tells about how the 12 animals got their rankings to make up the zodiac signs. How did small clever Rat come in first? Monkey, goat and chicken do not know how to swim, so how did they get across the river?
My kids and I had a good laugh as we read the book!