Can you guess the missing lyrics?
蓝蓝的天空银河里，有只 ___ ___ ___
走走走走走，我们小手拉小手，走走走走走，一同 ___ ___ ___
一二三四五六七, 我的朋友 ___ ___ ___
三轮车跑得快， ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___
世上只有 ___ ___ ___
If you can complete at least one or two songs from memory, you'd have witnessed the power of music in learning of a language!
In our Sing September 2020 Instagram Project at #funplaywithchinese x #mandarinagainstallodds, we've heard many stories of how music has helped many families come to enjoy Chinese again.
A gift handed down
from one generation
to the next"
We're really privileged and excited to stock The Nursery Rhymes Project books, produced by 实践剧场 The Theatre Practice and illustrated by 阿果 Ah Guo @kowfong! In these books, we find songs from our childhood to reminisce and teach our next generation, and some new ones to learn together.
- Gorgeous watercolour illustrations by @kowfong with a uniquely Singaporean flavour, making this bookset a snapshot of local life in this day and age, that can be enjoyed for many years to come.
- Song lyrics for reference, printed clearly on a high contrast background for readability.
- English translation of the song lyrics, which is really helpful when we explain the meaning of the songs.
- (Book 2 Only) Related activity for each song, in both English and Chinese. I find this a value-add for us busy parents, as we can extend learning from the song easily with the pre-prepared conversation starters and activity ideas. Examples of activities are connecting the song lyrics to our life experiences, changing the lyrics to the songs, or drawing something that is related to the song.
- High quality audio soundtracks to enjoy the lovely music. In Book 1, a CD is included. In Book 2, a USB flash drive is included. Perfect to play in the car or enjoy at home! If you're put off by screechy high-pitched or revolutionary-sounding Chinese songs, fret not. These recordings are made by a professional team including 董姿彦 Joanna Dong, Ric Liu, Juni Goh, Ethel Yap and other bilingual theatre practitioners, so you can be sure the songs are of great quality.
- Song list includes childhood favourites, traditional folk songs and beloved hits from The Theatre Practice's own children's musicals
1. 小白船 The Little White Boat
2. 捕鱼歌 The Fisherman's Song
3. 看你数清数不清 You Can't Count Them
4. 郊游 Outing
5. 我的朋友在哪里 Where's My Friend
6. 当我们同在一起 The More We Get Together
7. 小老鼠上灯台 Little Mouse on Lampstand
8. 送别 Parting
9. 紫竹调 The Purple Bamboo Flute
10. 青春舞曲 The Song of Youth
11. 坐火车 On the Train
12. 没答案的问题 Questions without Answers
1. 稻草里的火鸡 The Turkey in the Straw Field
2. 小毛驴 My Little Donkey
3. 捉泥鳅 Catching Loaches
4. 两只老虎 Two Tigers
5. 我家门前有小河 The Stream By My Home
6. 白杨树 Poplar Tree
7. 三轮车（念）The Trishaw (Recitation)
8. 三轮车（唱）The Trishaw (Song)
9. 西风的话 The Whisper of the West Wind
10. 打电话 Make A Phone Call
11. 世上只有妈妈好 In This World, Mothers Are Best
12. 乡间的小路 The Country Road
13. 我要上天的那一晚 Day I Met the Stars
Perfect for singing along together! My LO can hum along to most of the tunes in both albums. The songs are mostly my generation nursery rhymes and music never fails to engage and bond!
Good familiar songs for learning Mandarin the fun and enjoyable way. Beautiful illustrations to capture imagination of children.
The songs are beautifully sung and generated their interest in Mandarin.
Love how beautifully each song is sung. No more screechy chinese 儿歌！ The books are also beautifully illustrated
I can’t believe how beautiful these books are! I’m glad I unboxed these without the toddler around as I feel like they are too precious to be manhandled by the toddler 🤣 The illustrations are lovely with a touch of local flair embedded in the pictures. The songs bring back lovely childhood memories and are not screechy. A bit wasted to have the songs on CD though because we don’t have a CD player at home. But it was great that I could find the songs on Spotify. Words for the lyrics are big and easy to read. This would definitely make a great gift!