儿童新唱计划: 我们的儿歌画故事 The Nursery Rhymes Project 1, 2 &3: Paint Our Songs (Set of 3)
Can you guess the missing lyrics?
蓝蓝的天空银河里，有只 ___ ___ ___
走走走走走，我们小手拉小手，走走走走走，一同 ___ ___ ___
一二三四五六七, 我的朋友 ___ ___ ___
三轮车跑得快， ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___
世上只有 ___ ___ ___
If you can complete at least one or two songs from memory, you'd have witnessed the power of music in learning of a language!
In our Sing September Instagram Project at #funplaywithchinese, we've heard many stories of how music has helped many families come to enjoy Chinese again.
A gift handed down
from one generation
to the next"
We're really privileged and excited to stock The Nursery Rhymes Project books, produced by 实践剧场 The Theatre Practice and illustrated by 阿果 Ah Guo @kowfong! In these books, we find songs from our childhood to reminisce and teach our next generation, and some new ones to learn together.
- Gorgeous watercolour illustrations by @kowfong with a uniquely Singaporean flavour, making this bookset a snapshot of local life in this day and age, that can be enjoyed for many years to come.
- Song lyrics for reference, printed clearly on a high contrast background for readability.
- English translation of the song lyrics, which is really helpful when we explain the meaning of the songs.
- (Book 2 & 3 Only) Related activity for each song, in both English and Chinese. I find this a value-add for us busy parents, as we can extend learning from the song easily with the pre-prepared conversation starters and activity ideas. Examples of activities are connecting the song lyrics to our life experiences, changing the lyrics to the songs, or drawing something that is related to the song.
- High quality audio soundtracks to enjoy the lovely music. In each book, a USB flash drive is included. Perfect to play in the car or enjoy at home! If you're put off by screechy high-pitched or revolutionary-sounding Chinese songs, fret not. These recordings are made by a professional team including 董姿彦 Joanna Dong, Ric Liu, Juni Goh, Ethel Yap and other bilingual theatre practitioners, so you can be sure the songs are of great quality. In book 3 the team has children singing, and even an acapella group Micapella doing a rendition of 拔萝卜 that we love.
- Song list includes childhood favourites, traditional folk songs and beloved hits from The Theatre Practice's own children's musicals
Book 1 (Blue cover):
1. 小白船 The Little White Boat
2. 捕鱼歌 The Fisherman's Song
3. 看你数清数不清 You Can't Count Them
4. 郊游 Outing
5. 我的朋友在哪里 Where's My Friend
6. 当我们同在一起 The More We Get Together
7. 小老鼠上灯台 Little Mouse on Lampstand
8. 送别 Parting
9. 紫竹调 The Purple Bamboo Flute
10. 青春舞曲 The Song of Youth
11. 坐火车 On the Train
12. 没答案的问题 Questions without Answers
Book 2 (Pink cover):
1. 稻草里的火鸡 The Turkey in the Straw Field
2. 小毛驴 My Little Donkey
3. 捉泥鳅 Catching Loaches
4. 两只老虎 Two Tigers
5. 我家门前有小河 The Stream By My Home
6. 白杨树 Poplar Tree
7. 三轮车（念）The Trishaw (Recitation)
8. 三轮车（唱）The Trishaw (Song)
9. 西风的话 The Whisper of the West Wind
10. 打电话 Make A Phone Call
11. 世上只有妈妈好 In This World, Mothers Are Best
12. 乡间的小路 The Country Road
13. 我要上天的那一晚 Day I Met the Stars
My 8, 5 and 1-year old kids love this! The songs are beautifully put together - classics but updated with a modern arrangement, the illustrations so vivid and detailed that they capture my children's imagination, and the lyrics to help the kids pick up the language. Customer service is also fantastic - I had some follow up questions that was quickly and effectively addressed by Lin :)
This is such a wonderful compilation of many songs that the kids can just easily pick up! My son started out with book 1 and he could sing most of the songs when he was only 2.5 years old, after I sang the songs to him everyday. When I got book 2 and 3, he was so excited to start learning the new songs! Best Buy!
I’m a fan of Ah Guo’s art and after listening to all the songs on Spotify, I decided to go ahead and buy the books as the songs are so well-performed and not grating. I knew at most 3 songs from all 3 books from my childhood, but I’m trying to make sure my baby son knows more Chinese songs than me. So far, we try to listen to a book each day. My 6-month-old son seems to like looking at the paintings (I love the whimsical retro elements, especially those in book 1) and looks so happy listening as I try to sing along. I’m determined to learn all the songs by heart. I love the theatrical elements in book 3, and feel that each book is better than the next. At first I was a bit daunted by the lack of hanyu pinyin, but the direct translation into English and listening to the songs on repeat are really helping. Print wise, I love the vibrant colours, the paper quality and also the size of the books, which somehow remind me of primary school music books.
Came across this Project 3 on social media and was very keen to purchase the books once available. To my surprise, I saw Books 1-3 featured on IG and decided to purchase it. We have been playing the songs from all 3 books, and my kids love it very much. In fact, my older child has been requesting to listen to the songs!
My son loves music so this is perfect for him. Beautiful illustrations and very nice songs. Thanks for sending the music in email it speeds up the downloading to phone for easy access. For my 3 year old, he isn't so interested in reading the rhymes yet but listening to some familiar songs did help gain his interest