This is a must-have set of 3 books about
- 偏旁 Radicals
- 笔画 Strokes
- 汉字 Characters
that I believe has its place in every home!
Each radical, stroke or character is accompanied with a beautiful Chinese calligraphy painting, either related to its meaning, or to its shape as a mnemonic.
With a very strong foundation in radical, strokes and simple characters, our children can then go on to build more complex words, and remember that difficult words are always made out of the same few building blocks!
What I love especially about this, is that the books are directly relevant to my boy's schoolwork!
The 5 year old has been learning the more complicated strokes in school, and my 7 year old was delighted to find words in his Primary 1 Chinese syllabus within the books too!
Our family uses this set of books in several ways
- just flip through the books and enjoy the pictures
- learn about Oracle Bone Script 甲骨文 in the 汉字篇
- eg my 5yo learnt about 目 in school, we look for the corresponding page in the 汉字篇 to find more about how the character evolved from oracle bone script, we head over to the contents page of 偏旁篇 to look for 目字旁, then learn other words that contains this radical.
- my 7yo learnt 爸爸妈妈 etc in school, so we sieved out the pages relating to family 儿，女字旁，人字旁 etc to delve deeper
- when we do copywriting, and we forget the stroke sequence of certain words, we'll check out the books to find it out!